Scotland really seems to be getting good at the whole ‘blame the perpetrator not the victim’ part of campaigning against rape (I’m reminded of this campaign which takes a similar tact). Which is far more than I can say for the English police force.What can you do to help stop rape?1. Take responsibility … »Find out about the law regarding rape and understand that no matter what the circumstances are, sex without consent is rape.If there is any doubt about whether the person you’re with is consenting, don’t have sex.2. Respect your sexual partner … »Listen to the other person and treat them with respect – effective communication is key to healthy sexual relationships. It’s important to talk to your partner and listen to their wishes.
Any kind of sexual act must be consensual – both partners should agree to it and be happy with it.3. Question your own attitudes … »Consider the messages you hear about how men should act and think about your own actions, attitudes and behaviours.
Understand that behaviour, such as pub chat about a woman ‘asking for it’ because of what she is wearing, can perpetuate harmful attitudes towards sexism and sexual violence.Work towards positively changing attitudes. Choose what kind of guy you want to be.4. Stand up for your beliefs … »It’s easy to look the other way or keep quiet about your opinions. Don’t. Challenge attitudes that disturb you. For example, if a friend makes a joke about rape, tell them it’s not funny. More often than not you’ll find others share your opinion.5. Be proactive … »If you’re with friends and become aware of a situation developing, don’t stay silent. For example where one or both parties are too drunk to have consensual sex, go and have a quiet word with your friend. It might feel awkward and difficult to intervene, but you are looking out for them in what could potentially be a risky situation.
Also, if you see a similar situation arising outwith your group of friends, tell someone in authority, for example a bartender or door steward.6. Be supportive … »If you know or suspect someone close to you has been abused or sexually assaulted, gently ask if you can help, offer them your support and encourage them to contact the police. There are also a range of support organisations which can help.7. Speak up … »If you know someone is abusing their partner, don’t ignore it. If you feel able to do so, talk to them and urge them to seek help. There are many support organisations that can offer advice.
You can report abuse by contacting your local police office or anonymously via Crimestoppers. In an emergency always dial 999.8. Get involved … »Support the campaign.
Display ‘we can stop it’ posters in your college, university or workplace – contact us for email@example.com(This address is not for crime reporting - in an emergency always dial 999)Tell us why you support the campaign – we are always looking for fresh firstname.lastname@example.org(This address is not for crime reporting - in an emergency always dial 999) Rape is a difficult subject to talk about but it’s only through raising awareness that attitudes will change.Sex without consent is rape. We can stop it.Look at that. Not a ‘don’t drink too much’ or ‘be careful when you’re walking alone’ in sight.
More campaigns like this please.
- ellevitpourmoi reblogged this from bathinginkerosene
- bathinginkerosene reblogged this from sexc0nfessionsadvice
- qwestop0lis likes this
- your-bea-u-tiful likes this
- rainkatzanddogs reblogged this from peacepoetrypotter
- stargazing-from-the-moon reblogged this from peacepoetrypotter
- gif-that-food likes this
- hakunamatatasunshine reblogged this from peacepoetrypotter
- peacepoetrypotter reblogged this from iamhazleweatherfield
- kaysinkacei reblogged this from puckling
- mereaist likes this
- slutwalkmuenchen reblogged this from slutwatpizzabutt
- slutwalkmuenchen likes this
- youngsoulinastrangeworld reblogged this from julialehx
- julialehx reblogged this from stellaikillmen
- stellaikillmen reblogged this from slutwatpizzabutt
- stellaikillmen likes this
- girlnamedgoober likes this
- toritarantula reblogged this from slutwatpizzabutt
- earbudrampage reblogged this from slutwatpizzabutt
- slutwatpizzabutt reblogged this from baltimoreslutwalk
- veganandtrashy reblogged this from iceepr1ncess
- veganandtrashy likes this
- iceepr1ncess reblogged this from ashittyperson
- spacephantom likes this
- kawaiifeminism reblogged this from ashittyperson
- thefrancophilediaries likes this
- extra-ordinaryperfected reblogged this from unclejessesmull3t
- saddoge likes this
- chich-and-peach likes this
- untied-bowties reblogged this from ancientpsychictandem-warelephant
- walrusfangs reblogged this from ashittyperson
- escapinganxiety reblogged this from spybook
- chawowwow reblogged this from caraknightley
- gambitrose likes this
- cowpersgland likes this
- enemy0feverything reblogged this from caraknightley
- meowbrit reblogged this from cybersideburns
- giuliana-x-o-rose likes this
- zombiefucker reblogged this from ashittyperson
- sam-francisco-city likes this
- last-thing-on-your-mind reblogged this from comeonandwasteawaywithme
- cuntpuntfairy likes this
- keepmysecretssafe likes this
- hushyourlips reblogged this from spybook
- ancientpsychictandem-warelephant likes this
- ancientpsychictandem-warelephant reblogged this from comeonandwasteawaywithme
- youpoordevil reblogged this from caraknightley
- ashleykatchadoorian likes this
- ashleykatchadoorian reblogged this from unclejessesmull3t and added: